Vegan Baked Refried Bean Taquitos with Avocado Dipping Sauce
You all know how much I love to share recipes that are accessible to everyone. As someone who has celiac disease, and intolerances to dairy, yeast and eggs, it’s sometimes hard to find food to eat, especially when it comes time to social gatherings.
Anytime I’m watching football with others, it seems like the party is full of gluten-filled, cheesey appetizers (I mean I totally get it… it’s because they’re delicious), so it’s great when you can bring something along that everyone can eat, like these vegan baked refried bean taquitos! Because let’s face it… as much as I love footall (and I REALLY do!) the food often becomes the star of the game!
When it comes to the BIG GAME, there’s nothing better than watching the amazing commercials, rooting for the underdog and eating TONS of snacks! I personally think finger foods are the best for game day parties. They’re easy to eat while mingling with others and won’t get messy when you need both hands to cheer for your team (or the half time show If that’s your thing).
These vegan baked refried bean taquitos definitely fit the bill for this challenge. Just think, you’re munching on a delicious, crunchy taquito filled with refried beans, La Morena pickled jalapeños, corn, onion and peppers that’s dipped in a creamy avocado lime sauce and your team scores! You throw both hands up in the air and stand up in a fit of joy! But your taquito stays in tact while your friend’s nachos spill to the ground. SCORE! Now THAT’s a game day appetizer!
To make my vegan baked refried bean taquitos with avocado lime dipping sauce, I used La Morena picked jalapeños in both the taquito and the sauce to give them a little kick. I’m a little bit of a wuss when it comes to spice, so feel free to up the amount on those jalapeño! I purchased my La Morena pickled jalapeños at Tony’s Finer Foods in Chicago (and even picked up some other goodies for dinner over the weekend!).
The jalapeños are pickled in vinegar with onions and carrots, meaning a whole lot of flavor in one can! I like using these canned pickled jalapeños for a few reasons. First, there is no chance I am going to get jalapeño juice all over my face like I normally do which results in about 30 minutes of soaking my face in milk. It’s also a time saver since you don’t have to remove the ribs or seeds yourself (nor spend time soaking your face in milk).
When you’re looking for a great recipe for the BIG GAME, look no further than these vegan refried bean taquitos with avocado lime dipping sauce. Whether you’re vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free or have no dietary restrictions at all, you and your friends will be sure to love them! I know I do!
Vegan Baked Refried Bean Taquitos with Avocado Dipping Sauce
For the Taquitos
- 15-20 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (divided)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (small dice (from 1/2 bell pepper))
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (small dice (about 1/2 bell pepper))
- 1 cup white or yellow onion (small dice (about 1/2 medium onion))
- 1/2 cup corn (canned or frozen or fresh)
- 16 oz. vegetarian black refried beans (canned)
- 1 tbsp La Morena pickled jalapeño (minced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the Avocado Dipping Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (use La Morena picked jalapeño)
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Then add the onions bell peppers, and corn to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they are soft and lightly browned.
- Add them to a large bowl. Then, add in the refried beans, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and stir until combined.
- Take about 15 corn tortillas and place them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. It's okay if they overlap a bit for now. Place them in the oven for about 3-5 minutes, until they warm and soften up a bit. This will make it so that we can roll the tortillas without them cracking.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven. Spoon about 1/3-1/4 cup of the bean filling into the center of each tortilla and roll them up. Place each tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until all of the filling is used.
- With the remaining 1 tablespoon of reserved oil, brush the tops of the taquitos with the oil.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, until the tortilla shells are a light golden brown and crispy.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine an avocado, the lime juice, salt, jalapeño, cilantro and water to a food processor. Process until smooth.
I love Mexican food so darn much. These look incredible! Can’t wait to try them 🙂
Awesome! I’m always looking for new recipes for our vegan friends!
Drooling over these taquitos and that dipping sauce looks so flavorful!
That dipping sauce looks epic!
These look delicious! I love how they’re so small–they’d make great party food!
Lifestyle by Joules
YUM! Taquitos are always a must have in our house and we always try to be creative with our fillings and I’m loving what you’ve put together here! This will Be our next taquito recipe for sure!
Those looks delicious!
Yum! These sound delicious and I bet you kids would love this too !
You had me at Avocado Dipping Sauce ~ Oh my mercy! Thanks so much for the recipe inspiration.
Wow! My hubs is GF he would love these!
I haven’t had taquitos in ages! These look delicious!
I just keep watching that GIF! I love your blog, and this recipe looks amazing! I have a friend with celiac and I am going to be happy to serve this to her sometime! I am sure she will love it!
I love taquitos but I’ve never made them before. I can’t wait to try these! Thank you for this recipe!
Thanks so much! They sure were yummy!
Oooh, I love avocado and that dipping sauce looks wonderful. The taquitos look amazing, too. I have a gluten-sensitivity, but not celiac- I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for you with multiple allergies. Wow.
Thanks so much Sheila! I appreciate it 🙂
Mexican food is my absolute favorite! These look phenomenal.
Thanks so much Julie!!
I was about to say how I love that they are STUFFED with meat…then I realize they are vegan. I still want them. YUM!
Hahaha next ones will be stuffed with meat!
Everything looks delicious and is making me hungry!
Yay! Mission accomplished!
These look so good. I’ll be heading to your house and skipping the traditional taco tuesday at mine. 😉
Hahah you’re welcome anytime for some taco Tuesday at my house!
I have a question about the tortillas,are they hard or soft?
Great question! They’re soft corn tortillas!
YUM! That avocado dipping sauce would be perfect for so many different foods.
Agreed!! Id put it on anything!
These look so tasty — perfect for watching the game! I love the video too. 🙂
Here’s something funny – I hate beans but I love refried beans. No explaining me! These look amazing. I could eat guac right out of the bowl.
SO yummy and super simple!! We’ve made these twice in the past 2 weeks and I can’t wait to make them again! Thanks for the easy and delish recipe, it’s now a regular in our house! ?
Thanks so much Rachael! I’m glad you and your family enjoyed them 🙂