Last Updated on
Sweet potato toast just might be the best thing since sliced bread. Here I’m showing you 3 ways to eat this delicious gluten-free breakfast recipe!
Alright y’all. Today we’re talking sweet potato toast. Yes, you read that right. Sweet potato TOAST!
If you haven’t heard of it yet, it’s all the rage right now. Move over simple old avocado toast because now you can eat avocado on your sweet potato toast. Essentially, sweet potato toast is a slice of sweet potato toasted in your toaster and then topped with whatever toppings you would like just as you would eat normal toast. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to give it a go. The bread I normally buy is crazy expensive because I need gluten-free vegan yeast-free bread and let’s just say it’s not exactly easy to find. So having a cheaper, healthier option for morning toast is absolutely great! I love, love, LOVE toast toppings and for me, the more creative I can get, the better! Avocado, tomatoes, bananas, jam, hummus, goat cheese.. the list goes on!
On another note, if you’re gluten-free do you have a gluten-free toaster in your house? I think toasters are something people don’t always consider when they start a gluten-free diet. But think about it, there is a ridiculous amount of crumbs in those things. If you’re sharing a toaster with gluten in it, there’s definitely a good chance for some cross contamination. In my house, we have a gluten-free toaster and Michael knows his bread is not allowed in there. I can’t eat my gluten-free bread and waffles and sweet potato toast without a worry of getting sick. So, if you don’t have a toaster specifically for your gluten-free food, I urge you to get one! Okay, gluten-free toaster PSA over.
Back to sweet potato toast. This stuff is sooo good! I thought it might not hold up with all the toppings I put on there but boy was I wrong. The center of the sweet potato is soft, but not mushy and the outside has a nice little crisp to it which makes it the perfect vessel for all the toppings you can dream of. I love pre-slicing a sweet potato in the beginning of the week and leaving the sweet potato slices in my refrigerator for an easy breakfast before work. I’ve listed three of my favorite sweet potato toast toppings below: chocolate hazelnut banana, avocado tomato, and almond butter pear honey. How will you top your sweet potato toast?
Sweet Potato Toast: 3 Ways!
- 1 large sweet potato peeled* (You can also leave the skin on if you wish)
For the Almond Butter Pear Honey Toast:
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 pear cut into slices
- honey to drizzle
For the Chocolate Hazlenut Banana Toast:
- 2 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread I used Justin's
- 1/2 banana sliced
For the Avocado Tomato Toast:
- 1/4 avocado mashed
- 4 cherry tomatoes halved
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- To make the sweet potato toast, cut your sweet potato into 1/4 inch slices. I got about 6 slices out of mine. Place in the toaster and set to the highest setting (mine goes to a 7). Toast. Once it comes up, flip over and toast again. Check to see if your sweet potato is getting toasty on the outside, maybe with a few black toasted marks. If not, toast a 3rd time. Remove from toaster and repeat with remaining slices.
- To make almond butter pear honey toast, slather almond butter on two of the sweet potato toast slices. Top with pear and a drizzle of honey.
- To make the chocolate hazelnut banana toast, slather chocolate hazelnut spread on two slices of the sweet potato toast and top with sliced bananas.
- To make the avocado tomato toast, spread mashed avocado on two slices of sweet potato toast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then top with cherry tomatoes.