Last Updated on
Lately, I’ve been trying to think of some more cost effective meals to throw into my weekly meal plans. With the amount of fresh produce we eat, our grocery trips get expensive quickly; So, it never hurts to try to think of a few cheaper meals to get through the week. Tostadas are a great option for a budget friendly meal. They’re easy to make and you can use whatever you have in the pantry, making them so flexible and cost efficient. You can also create tostadas with whatever leftovers you have – bbq chicken tostadas… mediterranean tostadas with hummus, olives and feta.. even fruit and whipped cream tostadas!
These sweet potato black bean tostadas have definitely become a favorite of mine! They’re filling, easy to make, and have great flavor! They’re also meat-free making them a perfect option for vegan or vegetarian eaters. The fact that there is no meat in this recipe also makes it a very budget friendly meal. After all, sweet potatoes and black beans are far less expensive than chicken or pork. I think I’ll continue to eat a few meatless meals throughout the week to change up my diet and save a bit of money and I can guarantee these sweet potato black bean tostadas will always be on the top of my list!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tostadas
- 1 lb sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 cup black beans cooked (if from a can, rinse and drain), divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced red or white onion
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Add cubed sweet potato to a medium pot and cover with water. Bring pot to a boil over medium high heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft. Drain pot of water. Let cool for 5-10 minutes..
- In a food processor, combine warm sweet potato, 1/2 cup of the black beans, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon and process until combined. Transfer to a bowl until ready to use.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, combine avocado, lime juice and 1/4 cup of the avocado oil. Process until smooth. Add any additional avocado oil until you reach your desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush both sides of the tortillas with the tablespoon of avocado oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping half way through, until the tortillas are crunchy and slightly golden brown.
- Top tortillas with sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining black beans, onion and bell pepper. Spoon a dollop of avocado cream on top of the tostada.
- Serve immediately.