Let’s flash back to Tuesday night. On Tuesday night, I somehow thought that I was going to wake up on Wednesday at 5am so I could go to sunrise yoga at 6am. Well Wednesday morning 5am came. I woke up and groggily looked out my window. It’s pitch black outside… How can I go to yoga when it’s pitch black outside? Well I decided I can’t. How did I even think it would be a good idea to wake up at 5am? Set my alarm for an hour or so later. 6:30 am. Wake up again.. why is it still dark out? Sunrise yoga is halfway over and there’s still no sun. Hit the snooze button a few times thinking I might go work out when I wake up. 7:00am. Wake up. First thought is a giant pancake. That definitely seems more doable than working out. Twenty minutes later, I was chowing down on a massive banana chocolate chip oat pancake with bananas and syrup on top, watching Full House (what else is on at 7am? nothing), and drinking a diet coke. Pure heaven. I jumped on GChat right away and sent my sister a message saying something along the lines of holy crap. She immediately responded with a concerned “what’s wrong?!?” UMMM… I only just made the best pancake in the entire world!! It was LEGEN- wait for it- DARY. This pancake made my day. I mean let’s face it, Wednesday’s are rough. It’s half way through the week, yet the weekend seems so far away. I have 3 exams in the next week, yet here I am making a giant pancake. Let’s just say I don’t regret that decision in the least.
There weren’t many changes that I made to the recipe but I did make a few that I will note here:
1. I left the banana in slices rather than puree it. I don’t have a blender or food processor so I omitted that step. Besides I like banana pieces better.
2. I cut down the amount of oats to 1 tbsp. Since I didn’t puree the mixture the oats wouldn’t be processed into a powder. I added more flour to make up for that.
3. I added cinnamon. Literally all of my recipes lately have had cinnamon in them. So I figured why stop now?
4. I added chocolate chips… enough said.
5. I made only one pancake instead of 3-4. Because I can.
Single Serving Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Pancake
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tbsp gluten free certified oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 banana (cut into about 15 slices)
- 1 tbsp milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp butter (for cooking pancake)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the milk and vanilla extract. Mix together with a spoon. Add in half of the banana slices and the chocolate chips.
- Mix until bananas and chocolate chips are incorporated.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp butter and melt it.
- Add the entire batter to the pan. Use a spoon to spread the batter to the side of the pans.
- Cook until the pancake starts to bubble.
- Then, flip to the other side and cook another few minutes.
- Put the pancake on a plate and top with the remaining banana slices and maple syrup. Peanut butter would also make a good topping here.
Source: Recipe adapted from The College Culinarian