Soup is the ultimate comfort food, don’t you think? There’s nothing better than cuddling up under a fluffy blanket with a hearty bowl of soup during the Fall. Just one bite and you’re entire body begins to warm instantly. We’ve been experiencing some fluctuation in the temperatures here in Chicago. One day it’s a high of 75F and the next we’re barely getting over 50F. For those cold days, soup is an essential!
My old roommate Nathan used to make this sausage and lentil skillet throughout college. It was kind of one of those recipes that he made to ensure that he remembered to eat. Boys are sometimes weird that way I’ve found, they forget to eat. Whereas there is me, always thinking about my next meal, and the meal after that, and the meal after that. Well, not only was this sausage and lentil skillet easy to make and great to fill you up until the next meal, it was also pretty darn delicious! Once the weather started turning cooler here, I sent off an email to Nathan looking for the sausage and lentil skillet recipe. He only took a few days to get it to me, but you know me… once a certain food is on my mind… I have to eat it! So instead of waiting to make the sausage and lentil skillet, I created my own sausage kale and lentil soup!
Boy did this soup satisfy my hankering for that old skillet we would eat throughout college! It is….
Oh and did I mention it smells absolutely divine while simmering on the stove? The spices in the italian sausage make your kitchen smell soooo good! The other great part about using italian sausage is you don’t have to add a lot (or any) other spices beyond salt and pepper because you have your spices already built into the sausage! I mean you absolutely could, but there’s no need to in my opinion! My taste testers (my boyfriend and my dad) loved this soup and I hope you do too!
What’s your favorite comfort food during the Fall? Tell me in the comments!
I love to see your creations! Tag @adashofmegnut or hashtag #adashofmegnut on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter so I can see your creations!
Sausage Kale and Lentil Soup
This sausage, kale and lentil soup is full of flavor with just a few simple ingredients! Nothing is better than a big bowl of this soup on a cold winter day. Gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1 1/2 yellow or white onion diced (about 1 large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups sweet potatoes cubed (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 cup lentils 8 oz
- 2 quarts chicken broth 64 oz, check if gluten-free if need be
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 cups kale roughly chopped (I measured by filling the measuring cup with kale and pressing down to get 4 cups)
- Preheat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to get translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add ground sausage to the pot, breaking down the sausage into smaller pieces with a spatula or spoon. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Pour lentils into the pot. Stir to coat.
- Add in chicken broth. You may not want to add all of it right away. Start with 1.5 quarts and then go from there getting it to your desired consistency. You can also add more as it is cooking.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and then cover with a lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes, to get the flavors to meld. Check to make sure the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove lid and stir in the kale. Stir until the kale wilts.