Spring is finally here! Woohoo! I’m going to ignore the fact that there was potential snow in the forecast yesterday (Seriously, Chicago?) and proclaim that alas SPRING IS HERE! I want to shout it to the streets! Yell it from the mountain tops! Call my mom! and say.. spring. is. here. Can you tell I’m excited?
When I think of Spring, the first thing that comes to my mind is lemon. Ice cold lemonade, lemon curd, lemon cakes. Just lemon. So it should come as no surprise then that at the first hint of warm weather I immediately started working on a lemon square recipe. They are not to be confused with lemon bars because honestly they are not even remotely the same. These lemon squares are coconut lemon squares and guess what? They’re gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and sugar-free. Needless to say, it took me quite a few attempts to come up with this recipe and satisfy my dietary needs. But with one bite, I was hooked!
These coconut lemon squares have a lemony flavor that is bright and fresh with just a touch of sweetness. They’re also no-bake so they come together in a snap. I guess I should say almost no-bake as you do need to melt the coconut oil and coconut butter to make the filling. But other than that, you just pop them in the refrigerator or freezer and an hour later, they’re ready to serve! Next time you have a party or get together, try these no-bake coconut lemon bars!
Tell me, what’s your favorite Spring time dish?
No-Bake Coconut Lemon Squares
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 5 drops liquid stevia or honey to taste
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus additional for topping
- 20 drops stevia or honey to taste
- To make the crust, combine almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, stevia, lemon zest in a food processor. Pulse until the the almonds are ground but not too fine.
- Place crust contents into a bowl and mix in 1/4 cup softened coconut butter. The crust should be slightly moist.
- Pour crust into an 8x8 inch baking pan lined in parchment paper.
- To make the filling, add coconut oil and coconut butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium low heat for a few minutes until they are melted. Whisk in the stevia (or honey) and lemon zest.
- Then, take the filling off the heat and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Add the lemon juice to the coconut mixture and stir together. You do not want to add the lemon juice to liquid when it is hot because it will seize up a lot.
- Pour the lemon coconut filling over the crust. Top with additional lemon zest if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or until ready to serve. To speed up the process, place in the freezer.
I suggest lining the baking pan with parchment paper or even foil as it will help to remove and cut the coconut lemon squares.