I’m not sure if it’s the time of year or what, but I’m finding myself short on time lately. Fall is my favorite time of the year, so I don’t want to miss it by staying in the kitchen all day cooking up my meals. Which is why I’ve been defaulting to simple and quick meals that are also super comforting.
This mexican turkey and rice skillet is no exception. It’s easy, takes only about an hour to cook and only requires one dish… meaning less dishes to clean up and more time for you to enjoy time with family. This recipe is uber creamy, but don’t be fooled, there is absolutely no dairy to be found! It gets it’s creaminess from all of the chicken stock that is added to the rice as it cooks. The turkey is perfectly spiced, but not spicy. If you like it spicy, add a diced jalapeño to give it a little heat.
I love topping my skillet with cold tomatoes, diced avocado and chopped cilantro to give it a difference in texture and temperature. You could also toss your diced tomatoes in for the last 5 minutes of the cooking if you would like them to be warm and softer. I also used brown rice for this recipe, making the cooking time a bit longer than most recipes. You can sub in white rice or quinoa but keep in mind the cooking time will be a lot shorter and you may not need all of that chicken stock.
I loved eating this Mexican turkey and rice skillet so much that I could honestly eat it every day. I even made some nachos and tacos with this recipe as the filling. So yummy!
Mexican Turkey and Rice Skillet
A one pot mexican turkey and rice skillet is healthy and gluten-free. The whole family will love this meal!
- 1 large yellow onion diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 16 oz jar of salsa
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3-4 cups chicken stock check for gluten-free ingredients
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 avocado diced
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat up the oil. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, until they are translucent.
- Add in the ground turkey and spices and cook for another 10 minutes, until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add in the salsa, uncooked rice and beans. Start with about 2 cups of the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low/medium-low. Cook for about 40-50 minutes, with the lid on, until the rice is cooked through. Add about 1-2 more cups of the chicken stock about half way through the cook time, depending on how far along your rice is in the cooking process.
- Top with fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro, green onion and avocado to serve.