So I’m taking my next CPA exam today. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s an exam to get certified as a public accountant. Today is number 2 out of 4. I’m at the point where I want more time to study but also just want to get this done with in the hopes that I don’t have to take it ever again. I’m currently sitting at the kitchen table with mounds of note cards, my review book and chocolate (necessary at 8am) sprawled all over. My nerves are extremely high and my motivation is varying from high to low (beyond low right now) depending on the minute of the day. Although five o’clock seems a long ways away, I’m sure the time will fly by. Obviously it seemed appropriate to write to you all while I should be studying. Procrastination at its best I suppose. In other good news I’m going to Hawaii in just a few short days! I haven’t allowed myself to think about it too much because as soon as I start doing that I’m all over the internet looking at sites to see, new clothes to buy, and packing my bag. Another reason I’m excited for tonight. I get to start getting ready for vacation! Woohoo!
Alright enough about me. Today’s recipe is a honeydew melon sorbet. I looovvveee honeydew which is why I loved this sorbet but I have noticed something. People who like honeydew don’t like cantaloupe and people who like cantaloupe don’t like honeydew. I’ve strangely found this to be true in most of my family and friends. So if you love honeydew this is a recipe for you. It’s extremely easy to make and crowd pleasing. People will think you spent forever on this, but really it has minimal prep and then you can just let it do it’s thing. I strongly advise you put vodka in this to make it softer. The original recipe didn’t call for vodka but I always put it in my ice creams so they don’t freeze over too hard. However, this time I couldn’t find the vodka in the house so I didn’t put it in and boy did I regret that. If you choose not to use vodka because you have kiddies or whatever, let it sit at room temp for 5 or so minutes to make it a little easier to scoop!
Honeydew Melon Sorbet
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 honeydew melon about 6 lbs., cut into small chunks
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vodka optional
- In a small pot, combine 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar over medium-high heat.
- Stir while the mixture boils for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool. I
- n the meantime, cut the honeydew into big chunks and puree in a food processor or blender so that you get 4 cups of honeydew puree.
- Mix together with the cooled simple syrup, lemon juice and vodka. The vodka is optional but it helps the sorbet from not freezing over too hard and keep it nice and smooth.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker's manufacturer instructions.
- Then place in a tupperware and freeze for 1-2 hours or until read to serve.