Gluten-free vegan raspberry rhubarb glazed donuts have a deliciously moist vanilla crumb and are dipped in a tangy and sweet rhubarb raspberry glaze! What more could you want for National Donut Day?
Today is all about the donuts. That’s right. It’s National Donut Day. As such an important national holiday to our culture, I figured I needed a donut. First off, do you know how hard it is to find a gluten-free vegan donut in Chicago? Apparently, very difficult. Every donut place under the sun has a gluten-free donut and also a vegan variety. But are they ever combined together? Nope.
Gluten-Free Vegan Raspberry Rhubarb Glazed Donuts
Learn to make these gluten-free vegan raspberry rhubarb glazed donuts with this easy recipe. Donuts are on the table in under an hour, making them great for brunch entertaining! Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
For the Donuts:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend I used Bob's Redmill
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar can also use granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ + 2 tbsp cup almond milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For the Glaze:
- 1 stalk rhubarb diced (about 3/4 cup)*
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar use vegan powdered sugar if needed
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, mix together flours, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.. Then, add in vanilla, apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup almond milk and vegetable oil. Whisk until smooth. If the batter is still too thick add the additional 2 tbsp of almond milk. The batter should be thick but not as thick as cookie dough. Coat a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray (make sure it does not have flour in it if you need to be gluten-free). Spoon or pipe batter into the donut pan. The batter should just about reach the top of the pan and will make 6 donuts using <a href="http://amzn.to/1r5r16m">this pan</a>. Bake at 375F for 10-14 minutes or until the donuts spring back when you touch them. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, add the rhubarb, raspberries and water to a small pot over medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the rhubarb and berries are soft. Gently mash the rhubarb and raspberries. Then strain them into a bowl, discarding the pulp. Measure out 1/4 cup of the raspberry rhubarb juice. Mix it with the powdered sugar. You want your glaze to be thick and pink. Not red-pink. But pink. The glaze will thin out a lot when its on the donut. Adjust the glaze by adding raspberry rhubarb juice or more powdered sugar accordingly.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and place on a wire rack to set.
- Donuts are best eaten on the same day or the glaze may melt and make the donut soggy.
*Don't worry too much about the exactness of the rhubarb measurements - you'll be measuring out only 1/4 a cup and any kind of ratio of rhubarb and raspberry will be delicious so don't fret!