If you’re in need of a family meal idea, try my fall apple brussels sprout salad! It’s really easy to make and so delicious! All of the flavors of fall in one dish. This would be a perfect starter to your family meal or served as the main event with some grilled chicken on top!
Fall Apple Brussel Sprouts Salad
- 1.5 - 2 lbs. brussel sprouts (shaved)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 medium apples (diced (about 2 cups))
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3-4 pieces thick cut bacon (cooked and diced)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbles (optional - I did not include)
- 1/2 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1-2 tbsp honey (to taste)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Add quinoa and water/stock to a medium pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and water is evaporated.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon in a skillet or in the oven. Dice and set aside.
- To make the salad dressing, add apple cider vinegar, oil, honey, garlic, lemon juice and salt to a jar and close with a lid (mason jars work great for this). Shake the jar vigorously until everything is combined. Taste and adjust sweetness level based on your preferences. You can also do this in a bowl with a whisk or in a food processor and stream in the oil.
- To assemble, combine shaved brussels sprouts and cabbage to a large bowl. Toss in diced bacon, dried cranberries, quinoa, pecans, and apples.
- Drizzle with apple cider vinaigrette.