I tend to get a little cranberry obsessed this time of year. I tell you, there is nothing like a fresh cranberry. Don’t get me wrong, dried cranberries are good too.. but fresh is where it’s at! I like to use cranberries in interesting and unexpected ways beyond the typical cranberry sauce around the holidays. My cranberry jalapeño salsa was definitely unusual and quite delicious, too! So I thought I’d keep the cranberry train chugging along with a cranberry rosemary galette. Choo Choo!
If you don’t remember from my rustic italian plum galette post, a galette is basically a rustic pie that is folded around a fruit filling. We just like to be fancy and call it a galette. This cranberry rosemary galette borders on a savory pie rather than a sweet one. The cranberries are lightly sweetened with pure maple syrup, though you can still taste a little of the bitterness. Just the way I like it! If you’re more of a sweet fan, feel free to up the maple syru a bit. The fresh rosemary also gives it a nice savory, earthy flavor that I think pairs really well with the cranberries.
I decided to tweak my crust recipe a little bit this time and substituted vegan butter with cold coconut oil to see how it would hold up. I can now tell you that the results were fabulous! I love the little crunch that the coconut oil gives the crust. If you want a more buttery, soft and fluffy crunch go with butter or vegan butter. If you like a bit of crisp in each bite, try the coconut oil! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
This cranberry rosemary galette will be a hit at parties, and is great slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream (vegan for me!) right on top. Mmmm.. now if you don’t mind I’m heading back to the kitchen for another bite! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Cranberry Rosemary Galette
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut oil cold and cubed (see notes)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 /2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted (to brush on crust)
- 1 tbsp walnuts chopped (to sprinkle over crust)
For the Filling:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a food processor, pulse walnuts until they become a walnut meal. Add flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and pulse to combine.
- Add coconut oil and maple syrup and pulse until oil is the size of peas, with some bigger pieces.
- Remove from food processor and place in a bowl, add in water until a dough forms. Pat into a flat circle and chill for at least an hour.
- To make the filling, combine cranberries, cornstarch, maple syrup, cinnamon, lemon juice, rosemary and salt in a bowl and mix together. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Filling should be thick and not super liquidy.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to a 12-inch circle about ½ inch thick. Spoon filling into the middle of the dough.
- Crimp dough over the filling leaving a circle in the middle. Brush crust with 1 tbsp melted coconut oil. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over the crust.
- Bake at 375F for 40-50 minutes, until crust is golden brown.