Awhile back I got an email from Gold’n Plump asking if I wanted to try their new chicken sausages and brats. As soon as I saw the email I responded immediately with a ginormous “Yes please!” After going to school in Wisconsin for 5 years and spending all of my summers there for the past 24 years, I have developed a love for brats and sausages (and cheese and beer.. but that’s another post for another time) so I was so excited to try these chicken sausages out. Gold’n Plump was nice enough to send me a pack of their Parmesan Italian Chicken Sausage, Hot Italian Chicken Sausage, Chicken Bratwurst, and Apple Maple Breakfast Links. The Apple Maple Breakfast Links are so good for breakfast. I was planning to use them in a recipe but I first decided to cook a few so I could see what they taste like. Then, I couldn’t stop eating them. So no recipe there. But seriously, they’re really good. The Parmesan Italian Chicken Sausage I used in some pasta dinners that I had, which were really tasty. I liked the parmesan flavor in there a lot. I used the Hot Italian Chicken sausage in this recipe and was pleasantly surprised. Normally, I don’t like anything spicy. At all. I am spice adverse. But these hot italian sausage links were different. They definitely had a little kick, but I liked it! There was a lot of flavor and it really landed itself well to the lentil soup. I plan on using the Chicken Bratwurst for a beer, cheese, and brat soup! I can’t wait! You can buy Gold’n Plump chicken sausages at Super Target stores, as well as other retailers.
Chicken Sausage and Lentil Soup
- 16 oz gluten free chicken sausage (about 5 links with casings removed)
- 1 cup celery (diced, about 2 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (about 4 medium, peeled and diced)
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (diced)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 2 quarts chicken broth (gluten free)
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook sausage until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions, carrots, zucchini, and celery to the pot and cook until vegetables are soft and translucent, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Add the basil, italian herb seasoning, salt, pepper and minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, while stirring to ensure the garlic does not burn.
- Then, stir in the lentils.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and allow the soup to simmer while stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Add the sausage back to the soup and stir to incorporate.
- Let the soup simmer for another 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until it is wilted, about 3 minutes.