Chicken Quinoa Chili
Oh boy is it getting colder in Chicago! We went from it having 70F weather on Monday to 30F and SNOWING on Friday. (We even had hail on Friday!) It was some crazy Halloween weather. Since it is getting colder (and I’m anticipating another Polar Vortex this winter) I decided some chili was in order. I’m on a big quinoa quick again since it’s gluten-free and great source of protein. So it seemed only fitting to make this for our lunches this week. I played with a vegetarian quinoa chili that I had made a few years ago and came up with a version that my boyfriend and I both loved. It’s full of veggies, chicken and quinoa so it’s very filling! I also made some masa haring corn bread that turned out amazing and goes perfectly with our chili! I will hopefully post that recipe for you guys sometime soon after I make another batch! (i.e. I ate almost this entire batch and didn’t get a picture) But in the meantime, enjoy this awesome chili recipe! Side Note: Keep in mind, this chili is not spicy whatever. I am spice adverse so if you want a kick, add some cayenne pepper or japapeno! Enjoy!
Chicken Quinoa Chili
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 3 chicken breasts (diced in 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced)
- 15 oz can black beans
- 45 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 15 oz caned tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and water and heat over medium high heat until it reaches a boil.
- Once boiling, cover with a lid and lower to a simmer.
- Cook until the quinoa has absorbed the water, about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced chicken. Cook chicken until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Then, add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell peppers, and zucchini, and cook until softened about 10 minutes.
- Then add back the chicken.
- Pour in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and quinoa, and stir until combined.
- Then add the cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
We made this Chicken Quinoa Chili last Friday. A perfect food for a cozy winter night staying inside to avoid the cold. And great for leftovers…the spicy kick gets even more fun the next day. We had this with the Baked Corn Fritters and Brussel Sprouts and Bacon. Yum!!!