Gluten Free Blueberry Hand Pies
For the Dough:
- 1 + 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't contain it
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cubed and cold I used Earth Balance
- 4-5 tbsp ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- In a food processor, combine gluten-free flour blend, sugar and salt. Then add in the cold, cubed vegan butter.
- Pulse 6-8 times, until you have a mixture that resembles coarse meal and the butter is the size of peas.
- Add one tablespoon of water at a time, pulsing in between, until you able able to pinch the dough between your fingers and it holds together.
- Turn the dough mixture out onto a clean surface and knead together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon zest.
- Pour the blueberries into a separate bowl.
- Coat the blueberries with the lemon juice.
- Stir in the sugar mixture until the blueberries are completely coated.
- After the pie dough is chilled, roll it out to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out circles with a 5-6 inch diameter.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of blueberry filling to the center of the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk with 2 tbsp of water.
- Brush egg wash on the edge of the dough circles to create a seal.
- Fold dough circle in half and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Chill filled circles for half and hour before baking.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove pies from the refrigerator and brush tops with egg wash.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each pie and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.
Source: Recipe from The Pastry Affair