Lately, I have been looking for meals that I can cook on a Sunday and package individually for lunches for the rest of the week. I began gravitating towards stews, soups, and pastas so you might be seeing a good helping of those on here in the next few weeks. I realize it’s starting to get warm out, but this beef stew is still perfect for cold summer nights. The stew is so flavorful and the vegetables really shine through in this dish.. I hope you enjoy it!
This recipe for beef stew is so easy to make and is great for cool nights. It's hearty and comforting, but also full of vegetables.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb stew beef cubed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 4 cups beef broth divided (make sure beef broth is gluten free)
- 1/2 lb carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 lb baby potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or a large pot over medium high heat.
- While the oil heats, sprinkle the beef with the spices. Make sure to turn the beef over to coat evenly on all sides.
- Put the beef in the pot and get a nice sear on all sides, cooking about a minute on each side.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside. Do not clean the pot in between those two steps, the beef renderings in there are good stuff to cook your vegetables in!
- Now, add the celery and onion to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Pour in about 1 cup of beef broth to deglaze the pot. Scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the carrots, baby potatoes, and cubed beef to the pot.
- Then, stir in the can of diced tomatoes.
- Add the remaining beef broth, just enough so that it covers the vegetables and beef.
- Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 45 minutes to an hour, until the vegetables are tender and the beef is cooked all the way through.
- Serve immediately or keep warm until served or pack into tupperware so you have lunch ready for the week.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1157mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6395IU | Vitamin C: 18.7mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3.3mg