Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites
If you wrap anything in bacon, I guarantee you I will eat it. I should have put that in my high school year book next to my picture.
You could wrap anchovies in bacon, and I’d still eat it. And anchovies are definitely not my thing, so that’s really saying something. But why wrap just anything in bacon, when you can wrap something delicious in bacon? Have I said bacon enough yet in this post?
A few weeks ago, my friends came over for our monthly book club meeting. I needed a quick appetizer, and basically I had some bacon in my refrigerator and was trying to find anything to wrap in this bacon and call it an appetizer.
Almonds? No. Bananas? Ew. Apples? Meh. (Actually now that I think about it, that probably would have been good.) I was beginning to think I would be out of luck.
But all of the sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a stack of sweet potatoes. Jackpot!
I honestly wasn’t looking for anything mind blowing, just something to put out before serving dinner. But what came out of the oven was indeed amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I’ve made these for 3 separate occasions in the last few weeks. The most recent occasion being me sitting on my balcony writing this post. Obviously, you need bacon wrapped sweet potato bites to do that!
Something magical happens in the oven with these sweet potato bites. The sweet potatoes get smooth and soft, with just the right amount of sweetness. The bacon crisps up and cooks perfectly, there’s no need to even add sugar. With each bite, you can truly taste and savor the silky texture from the sweet potatoes that pairs so well with the salty, crunchy bacon. Pure bliss!
More Easy Gluten-Free Appetizer Ideas
- Easy Guacamole
- Peanut Butter Chicken Wings
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Apples
- Corn and Cotija Guacamole
- Classic Pita Pizza
- Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese
- 1 lb bacon (cut in half)
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cut in 3/4 to 1 inch chunks)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and chili powder.
- Lay out your bacon strips. Spoon cinnamon mixture evenly over the slices of bacon.
- Place a chunk of sweet potato on one end of the bacon. Roll the bacon around the sweet potato.
- Place sweet potato bite seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until bacon is crisp.
Yum! My two favourite foods in one! I don’t know why I never thought of putting them together!