Ah the life of a food blogger.
I was mid photo shoot with this Rainbow Power Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette when I called over Michael to help with the photos. Do you ever wonder whose hands are in my photos? Nine times out of ten, it’s Michael. Always willing to stop playing video games or whatever he is doing to help out with my photos. Well for this particular photo I instructed him to drip vinaigrette over a large bowl of salad. He was about to comply to my request when he stopped and asked:
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and cut into pieces (about 8-10 stems)
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw or roasted cashews
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 avocado, diced
- blueberry apple cider vinaigrette (below)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oil (canola, vegetable, olive, etc.)
- In a food processor, combine ingredients for blueberry apple cider vinaigrette. Pulse until combined. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To cook the quinoa, add quinoa and water to a small pot. Heat over medium high heat until you bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, place a lid on top of the pot and bring it down to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water is evaporated. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- To make the salad, combine kale, quinoa, cashews, blueberries, strawberries, chia seeds and avocado together. Drizzle the blueberry vinaigrette over the top and serve immediately.