My absolute favorite recipes come from moments of desperation. You know, the times that you’re sitting in front of your pantry or refrigerator just absolutely starving, wondering what you can possibly come up with to cure whatever craving you are currently having. Those are the moments I’m talking about.
I had just come home from a weekend trip and grocery shopping was far from my mind. After minutes of scouring my pantry and refrigerator for what items I did have, I just started pulling out anything and everything to make some kind of creation, threw it all in a skillet, and a legend was born (Okay, maybe that’s a little over the top, but it was seriously good!) I’m not sure if I’m just more creative when I’m extremely hungry or if my stomach just gives me ideas, but boy am I glad I came up with these pumpkin apple quesadillas.
They use just a few ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen. Apples, corn tortillas, cashew butter, pumpkin pie spice. Seriously that’s about all you need to make this super easy dessert. And because I like you all so much, I gave you lots of options! I created these originally with some cashew butter since I had it on hand. Other nut butters won’t really work as well since they tend to have more of a distinct flavor. Cream cheese or vegan cream cheese on the other hand, would also work amazingly in here. And I know, you might be thinking… “seriously lady? Only 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree? What do I do with the rest of the can?” I know. I know. You can either leave it out and add a pinch more of pumpkin spice… or you can refrigerate the rest of the puree for up to a week or freeze it for even longer keeping. You know you’ll need it for all of your fall baking!
Next time you’re in desperate need of a little dessert, try these pumpkin apple quesadillas. And remember, get creative with whatever YOU have on hand! I would love to see your creations! Send me an email or tag me on Instagram or Twitter and hashtag #adashofmegnut 🙂
- ½ medium sized apple, cut into ¼ inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp cashew butter or 2 tbsp cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp coconut sugar (or honey or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp pureed pumpkin
- 2 corn tortillas (or gluten-free flour tortillas)
- 1 tsp butter (or vegan butter or coconut oil), melted
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice and ¼ tsp coconut sugar and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together cashew butter (or cream cheese), pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and coconut sugar. Spoon the mixture evenly on the two corn tortillas and spread with a knife.
- Top one of the tortillas with the apples. Flip the second tortilla over (pumpkin side down) on top of the tortilla with the apples. Press down lightly. Brush both sides with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Add quesadilla to the heated pan and cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Slice and serve.