This cabbage roll soup has all the flavors of traditional cabbage rolls without the work! It’s gluten-free and dairy-free and perfect for dinner on cold Winter nights!
It looks like Winter finally decided to join us here in Chicago. It’s cold, snowy, and all I want is a bowl of hot soup. Not that I’m complaining or anything. It was nice having a very warm December! But, I’m basically ready for Spring. In the meantime, I’ll just be snuggled up in a blanket eating this cabbage roll soup.
Over the past year, I’ve had a slight obsession with making cabbage rolls. They’re the epitome of comfort food if you ask me. Slow cooked beef and rice in a cabbage roll that is smothered in tomato sauce. Mmmmm. The only issue? The extensive prep and 2 hour cook time. As much as I love individually rolling cabbage rolls, I actually don’t, like ever. So I figured why not create a cabbage roll soup that would be ready in half the time with a fraction of the work! If you haven’t noticed, I love making soups! They’re just so easy to make and perfect for cold days.
This cabbage roll soup tastes just like the real thing. Loads of cabbage, beef, and rice all in a super flavorful tomato broth. I used purple cabbage in this recipe for a little color pop and it happened to be what I had on hand, but you could also use regular cabbage too! I loved this soup so much that I don’t think I’ll go back to making cabbage rolls the traditional way!
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head (about 1 lb) cabbage, chopped
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 30 oz diced tomatoes (2 regular sized cans)
- 6 cups chicken broth (gluten-free)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice*
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (gluten-free) or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef, about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Leave some of the grease, about 1-2 tablespoons, in the pot and add onions. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Then add garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage, and cook a few minutes until it softens.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, rice, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, honey, paprika, salt and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Then let simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Top with fresh parsley before serving.