If you ask me, kabobs are the epitome of summer. Chicken kabobs. Vegetable kabobs. Fruit kabobs. All on the grill! There’s nothing better! Well that is, unless you live in an apartment building in downtown Chicago and don’t own a grill…. Depressing.
Well, there’s no need to miss out, my apartment dwelling friends. Because I’ve figured out how to create tasty, flavorful chicken kabobs in the oven! These kabobs are so moist and delicious and the marinade gives it that extra oomph of flavor.
These kabobs come together very quickly with a bit of preparation ahead of time. The night before serving, soak your wooden skewers, marinade your chicken, and toss them in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld. When you get home from work, all you have to do is bake in the oven! Serve with some quinoa, rice, or a nice side salad and you have the perfect weeknight dinner! They also preheat really well for lunches during the week!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into large chunks
- 3 bell peppers, cut into large 1 ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, copped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 12 wooden skewers
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water overnight so they don’t burn in the oven.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together avocado oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chicken cubes in a large gallon sized Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over the chicken and close the bag. With your hands, squish the chicken around to make sure it gets completely covered in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but 4-6 hours being best.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Alternate the vegetables and chicken on the skewer, making about 12 skewers.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the skewers about half way through. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. You may need to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken chunks.